Tuesday, March 5, 2024

⋆Final Installation Blog⋆

 



















This experience was like no other!

When this idea was on the chalkboard of my mind, I felt like it would stay put forever just because I was a bit doubtful about its execution..that was until we (the class) blew a great life into my chalk dust.


I remember the morning of this installation. I’m a huge early bird type of person so on this day I got up at 7am, got my supplies ready, and went to have breakfast. This is all context but when really getting into the set up, it was a therapeutic process. I got way too much paper but I loved using my obnoxiously large ruler across our grand table, and taking out my fresh set of pastels. I am also glad I got reminded to document because this image of anticipation makes me feel ready to make art!

In this midst of setting up supplies, I lost sight of setting up any restrictions. All I remember repeating is that the installation was about creating a mirror image to your partner, and to switch around colors when you were done with what you started with. I didn’t give too much direction on the tango of leading the mirroring and I think it had the great effect of people really connecting with their partners.





I think some beautiful outcomes from this happening was the sounds of the pastels going across paper and the silent conversations across the table. The laughter is also something that made me smile and feel like this installation did what I wanted it to. I wanted a connection, no matter how temporary, that helped us (as a class) express ourselves to each other.


This picture is one of my favorites because it truly shows a moment. The class may be off washing their hands at that moment (or what have you), but they created something that spoke for them in their absence. This piece was so huge that I had to stitch it together differently in a janky photoshop, but this work will always stick with me. 

I am glad we all came together this day and created something so beautiful. 







1 comment:

  1. Your project was so much fun to participate in! To me, the most interesting part was creating a visual representation of the improvisatory movement of a duo, really tuning in to each other, and I love thinking about the documentation of relationship in time and space in that way.

    ReplyDelete

⋆Final Installation Blog⋆

  This experience was like no other! When this idea was on the chalkboard of my mind, I felt like it would stay put forever just because I w...