Wednesday, February 21, 2024

James Turrell

 


This research project was very overwhelming in the beginning. The first ever image I saw of James Turrell was him illuminated by light and I really wanted to know what he was all about. This project had a lot of trial and error for me unfortunately. I went through so many of his grouped works, I looked at his pictorial renditions of the more 3D examples, I just felt overwhelmed by my options. It wasn't until his work “Unseen blue 2002” that I felt any sense of guidance with what I was trying to convey. This work helped me solely because I had more variety with the light depicted which is what I was trying to get at in how viewers are experiencing something different each and every time with his work. He also is described as both a light artist and a musician because of his usage of optical illusions and projections/LEDs that help enhance the space or site specific art he is creating. I fell in love with the differing colors in his work but what stuck out to me the most is his extra attention to how viewers would feel in a space. This ties in to his Quaker faith but that strung in experience of meditation and occupying quiet space with others is what catapulted this discovery!. Despite the difficulty I had with certain aspects, I do feel like this project helped me not only learn, but feel recognized as an audience member. This is a similar feeling I had when we had seen work by Dan Graham describing his audience and how they were seeing him both in body language and eye movement. I appreciate artists who look at art as a relationship between audience and subject rather than a one-sided action of viewing.

2 comments:

  1. I love his attention to the impact his constructed spaces/lights/sounds have on potential viewers. The influence of his Quaker faith on his fascination with light sounds really interesting. Can't wait to hear more about him on Monday!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. James Turrell's artworks looks so cool, which containing design of lights, sounds, and physical space. I also like how to describe the feeling when you imagine you are in the installation.

    ReplyDelete

⋆Final Installation Blog⋆

  This experience was like no other! When this idea was on the chalkboard of my mind, I felt like it would stay put forever just because I w...